Monday 4 May 2015

Blues Monday #9: Got My Mojo Workin' by Muddy Waters


A guy I once worked with used to lend me blues CDs. I was still 'learning' the genre and he had plenty of resources to hand. One particular disc, a compilation I don't remember the name of, contained three live tracks by Muddy Waters. There was no info about their source, but I do recall seeing some vintage TV performance of the great man playing an awesome version of Got My Mojo Workin' which sounded very similar to the version on that CD. In his backing band were the likes of Willie Dixon, Sonny Boy Williamson II, Otis Spann and a young Matt "Guitar" Murphy. What a line-up!

My best guess is it's from the touring American Folk Blues Festival 1963 which was filmed for German TV. I might be wrong about this though, so do tell me if you know better. Whatever, it's one of my very favourite live performances of any song of any genre. I love it. But then, it's Muddy Waters, so you can't go wrong.



Soundtrack:

No comments:

Post a Comment